- Scientific co-Director IEO (European Institute of Oncology)
- Chairman, Department of Experimental Oncology, European Institute of Oncology, Milan (Italy)
- 1981 - M.D., summa cum laude , University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
- 1987 - Board in Internal Medicine summa cum laude, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
- 1987 - Ph.D. in Internal Medicine, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
- 1981: Post-doctoral fellow in clinical haematology at the "Istituto di Clinica Medica I", School of Medicine, University of Perugia, Italy.
- 1982: Post-doctoral fellow in experimental haematology; "Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unite de Recherches en Genetique Moleculaire et Hematologie, I.N.S.E.R.M.-U.91", Creteil, France.
- 1983-1986: Post-doctoral fellow in Molecular Biology; New York University Medical Center, Dept. of Pathology, New York, U.S.A.
- 1987-1995: Chief of the Laboratory of Molecular Biology; "Istituto di Clinica Medica I", Perugia, Italy.
- 1994-2000: Associate professor of Oncology, University of Parma, Italy.
- 2000-2003: Full Professor of Pathology, University H.S. Raffaele, Milan, Italy
- 1996: Chairman, Department of Experimental Oncology, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy.
- 2000: Scientific Director of SEMM Foundation (European School of Molecular Medicine), Milan, Italy.
- 2003: Full Professor of Pathology, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
- 2010: Scientific co-Director IEO
- American Association for Cancer Research; EMBO; European Haematology Association; European Society for Engeneering and Medicine; European Cytokine Society; The New York Academy of Sciences; American Society for Microbiology; Italian Association of Biophysic and Mol. Biology; Italian Society of Cancerology;
- 1998/2000 - President Italian Society of Experimental Hematology.
- 1981 - International Award for medical students. Ascona, Switzerland.
- 1982 - Italian prize for young hematologists (Fondazione R.Gatti), Bologna.
- 1983 - Fellowship from "Fidia spa", Italy.
- 1984 - Fellowship from the "Ministero Italiano della Pubblica Istruzione per il perfezionamento presso istituzioni estere di livello universitario".
- 1985 - Fellowship from the "American-Italian Foundation for Cancer Research".
- 1986 - "Kaplan Cancer Center Senior Fellowship for AIDS research"; New York University, New York, U.S.A.
- 1987 - Fellowship from the "Associazione Umbra Lotta Leucemie e Linfomi". 1988: Italian prize for oncologists (Fondazione Favretto) Turin.
- 1989 - Fellowship from the "Anna Villa Rusconi" Foundation.
- 1992 - "C. Cioffrese" Prize for Cancer Research (Fondazione Carlo Erba).
- 1996 - Prize "Foundation Chiara d'Onofrio". 1996: Prize "Foundation Cassa Risparmi Asti".
- 1998 - Prize "Guido Venosta" (Italian Foundation Cancer Research - FIRC).
- 1998 - Award for "Excellence in Medicine" (American-Italian Foundation for Cancer Research, New York, USA).
- 2000 - Prize "Ercole Pisello" for Excellence in Medicine, Deruta (PG) Italy.
- 2000 - Prize "Associazione Nuova Spoleto" for Medical Research, Spoleto (Italy).
- 2001 - Prize H. S. Raffaele, Milan (Italy).
- 2006 - Prize "Angelo dell'Anno" by SolidArte ONLUS, Milan - Italy.
- 2007 - Prize "Premio Bandiera", Gubbio - Italy.
- 2007 - Prize “Swiss Bridge”, Zuerich - Switzerland
- Characterization of the molecular mechanisms of fusion-protein induced leukemias;
- Characterization of the physiological function of leukemia-associated translocation genes;
- Identification of the mechanisms of HDAC-inhibitor sensitivity of leukemias;
- Definition of the RAS-independent signal potential of Shc proteins;
- Role of Shc proteins in controlling life span in mammals.